Wondrous World Cave Crystals
You’ve seen your wondrous kid escape lava rivers in the caves of our Wondrous World by hanging on to stalactites, but now they can make their own too!
What you’ll need: Epsom salt, clean glass jars, water, bowl or glass measuring cup, fork, microwave (optional)
1. Add 1 cup of Epsom salt to your jar. You will be using a ratio of 1:1 water to Epsom Salt for this project.
2. Add 1 cup of water to a microwave safe bowl. Heat the water in the microwave for 45 seconds or use very hot tap water and skip the microwave.
3. Quickly pour the water into the jar with the salt so that the water is warm. If you're going to add colour, stir in a few drops.
4. Stir the salt and water until dissolved, about 1-2 minutes. Don’t worry if there’s still a few bits of salt at the bottom.
5. Put the jar in the refrigerator. Alternatively, quick cool the mixture for 10 minutes in the freezer and then move it to the refrigerator.
6. Leave the mixture overnight in the fridge.
7. In the morning, carefully pour out the extra liquid.
8. Using a wet paper towel, gently wipe away excess salt that may be on the upper portion of the jar so you can see the lovely crystal garden through the glass. They’re delicate, so be careful not to damage any of your crystals!
How many crystals was your marvellous kid able to mine from our caves? Share it with us on Facebook so we can see :D